Tuesday 20 November 2018

Jacob: The Circle Dray Horse, London



A few weeks ago, I was in London for a while. Very often, when I am there and have some time available, I visit for the first time some areas of the city, in order to get to know better London and its history. On one of these walks, I ended up in a beautiful and quiet area near London Bridge. I was remarkably impressed by the imposing statue of a horse. Approaching I read:
'Jacob,' The Circle Dray Horse
'The famous Courage dray horses were built on this site from early 19th century and delivered beer around London from the brewery in Horselydown Lane by Tower Bridge.
'In the 16th century, the area became known as Horselydown, which derives from' Horse-lie-down ', and a description of working horses resting before crossing the London Bridge into the City of London.
'Jacob was commissioned by Jacob's Island Company and Farlane properties as the centerpiece of The Circle to commemorate the history of the site. He was flown over London by helicopter into Queen Elizabeth Street to launch The Circle in October 1987. '
So there is another "icon" and moment of London and its inhabitants that I did not know!