Monday 20 July 2015

San Marino: One of the smallest states in the world!


With just about 33,000 inhabitants, San Marino is one of the smallest states of the world! It is located in the heart of Italy, near the town of Rimini and as expected, the citizens speak Italian. San Marino is visited by thousands of tourists every year. The historic center of San Marino entered the list of UNESCO World Heritage in 2008. The city of San Marino (baring the same name as the state) is the capital.
I visited San Marino just for one day, but its diversity was more than enough to win me over! We left the car at a big underground parking and from there we went on foot up to the Castle. I was impressed by the medieval architecture of the buildings! An entire medieval town, lively and lovely, was unfolding before my eyes!

On my way I met too many tourists, who seemed to enjoy the scenery too!
Once I entered the castle, I stopped at a small cafe and ordered an Italian cappuccino! I sat outside and enjoyed it, watching the people go by and admiring the buildings! Later on I strolled to the small narrow streets of San Marino. The day was cloudy but fortunately it did not rain, so I was able to enjoy my walk!
The medieval style of the city is highlighted by its beautiful buildings! Every alley leads to splendid buildings or to small squares that keep this Italian medieval atmosphere to such an extent that mentally the visitor time-travels to the past. As the visitor walks in San Marino will encounter many shops, most of which have increased traffic and sell not only souvenirs, but also clothes, shoes, jewelry, and even clocks!

I spent an entire morning taking pictures of the all beautiful corners of the area. When I got hungry I chose a cozy restaurant near a small square at the top of the hill. I enjoyed delicious Italian food, with the company of a great view all around. The final impression that I got from San Marino, was the fact that it is a place with very distinct identity. If somebody does not love the medieval, Renaissance climate, may not appreciate its beauty. But if you are fond of this type of architecture and atmosphere, then you will enjoy the experience of walking into a "living" museum.
San Marino is certainly a small place that does not need extended stay to see all its attractions. But since it is built in a way that offers great view from anywhere in the region, and since it's a place that you can move around on foot, it might be an excellent choice to relax for a few days, away from large and bustling cities ...

The truth is that walking inside the Castle, I came across a few hotels, some of them luxurious, which means that there are plenty of people, each for their own reason, who choose to spend a few days in San Marino. If you ask me, I would stay a few days there with pleasure! First, because the idea to live loose for a few days is quite fascinating, to spend time away from large cities, too many cars, noisy crowds and bustles. Secondly because I am a lover of medieval cities, and I would never miss an opportunity to visit one of them!